[ih] Re: Cluster Addressing and CIDR

Lixia Zhang lixia at CS.UCLA.EDU
Thu Jan 16 11:13:57 PST 2003

> Craig - I don't think that any of the meetings were explicitly closed, but
> definitely not well advertised.  If I were to pick a date where the
> expansion started, I'd probably pick meeting 6 at BBN where we had a co
> meeting with one of the ... ANSI subgroups? X3S3? (I forget the
> incantation).  I think at meeting 3 we explicitly started looking at the
> operations of the Internet - we had all 4 of the major players there (DOD,
> NASA, DOE and NSF) and that broadened it past the purely research bent of
> GADS.
>
> Later, Mike

I don't think even GADS was pure search.  I recall that starting from its
meeting (Jan'85 in DC?? Cold and snowing), there were glitches between
people who wanted to pursue blue skies (Mills was developing NTP at the
time) and those who wanted to resolve burning operational issues.
The split was simply inevitable.

Lixia

PS: I took IETF off cc: list.