[ih] Re: Cluster Addressing and CIDR

Michael StJohns mstjohns at mindspring.com
Wed Jan 15 18:50:04 PST 2003

At 09:01 PM 1/15/2003 -0500, Craig Partridge wrote:

>In message <5.1.0.14.2.20030114215708.0475ef68 at pop.mindspring.com>,
>Michael StJ
>ohns writes:
>
> >We spent about 1/2 of the 2nd day on engineering issues and I would really
> >call that specific day the first IETF meeting.  According to the IETF
> >website, that was January 17th, 1986 - so we've got a few years yet until
> >the 20th anniversary.
>
>Mike:
>
>Do you remember how many of the 1986 meetings were closed?
>
>I first attended the Moffett Field meeting (which was periodically
>interrupted by U-2s taking off) in Feburary 1987.  My recollection is that
>it was the 2nd meeting open to all attendees, but I'm not sure.
>
>Craig

Craig - I don't think that any of the meetings were explicitly closed, but
definitely not well advertised.  If I were to pick a date where the
expansion started, I'd probably pick meeting 6 at BBN where we had a co
meeting with one of the ... ANSI subgroups? X3S3? (I forget the
incantation).  I think at meeting 3 we explicitly started looking at the
operations of the Internet - we had all 4 of the major players there (DOD,
NASA, DOE and NSF) and that broadened it past the purely research bent of
GADS.

Later, Mike