[ih] Cluster Addressing and CIDR

Andrew Russell andrew.russell at colorado.edu
Tue Jan 14 21:24:33 PST 2003

>At 18:21 -0700 1/14/03, Andrew Russell wrote:
>>>My experience is that formality creeps in primarily as the process
>>>is abused.  The more it is abused the more necessary it is to make
>>>rules about things where it could be assumed that good and fair
>>>behavior would prevail.  As the stakes increase, that becomes less
>>>the case. The only way for it not to happen is to work on things
>>>that few people care about!  Either because they don't know it is
>>>important or because it isn't!
>>>
>>>Take care,
>>>John
>>
>>From my research into the early institution-building of Internet
>>standards (ICCB, IAB, IETF), it seems that another reason for
>>building in formality is to allow open participation. As
>>participation
>
>I don't see how formality allows open participation.  Generally, the
>minimal number of rules is best and then only to ensure fair
>participation.  My experience has been that the number of rules and
>the formality of the process increases either when fairness is
>abused or one group attempts to maintain control of the process.
>The first is a case where without written rules some try to use the
>fact that "there is no rule that says I can't" to abuse a fair and
>reasonable process.

In this case I would think that the creation of rules is a healthy
development for preserving a fair and reasonable process.

>Initially there were very few if any written rules.  My
>understanding is that the rules in place came about when it became
>clear that the IETF/IESG/IAB etc.  needed to be able to ensure that
>a process was followed that would not subject it to law suits or
>claims of anti-trust behavior.  The process was and always has been
>about as open as you can get without formality.  Frankly, I think
>the current process is so open that it provides the perfect disguise
>for manipulation by anyone with the resources to play the game.

More formal structures allow a body to move away from a small
"council of elders," thus making leadership somewhat accountable to
the participants. Comparatively, the IETF has a minimum of rules and
institutional structures; but those rules keep the process
consistent, and therefore make the IETF more reliable as an
institution. Without formal rules, a small group of people could make
decisions that don't have broad support (such as was alleged of the
IAB with CLNP in 1992). It's a classic constitution-building question
- how much authority and structure is needed to preserve freedom? Is
it too easy to manipulate the system?

Cheers,

Andy