[ih] Re: internet-history digest, Vol 1 #120 - 2 msgs

Bob Braden braden at ISI.EDU
Wed Feb 26 12:25:11 PST 2003

  *> >>>>>
  *> >>>>>I recently heard about an incident in which a number of European and
  *> >>>>>Asian networks briefly lost their connections to the Internet in 1989
  *> >>>>>or 1990. Someone in the US Government apparently decided that the
  *> >>>>>registry functions then being sponsored through the DOD should not be
  *> >>>>>used to support services for connections outside the US. This
  *> >>>>>presumably accelerated the process of transferring responsibility for
  *> >>>>>the funding of registry services to the NSF.

This probably refers to the end of SATNET, DARPA's experimental
satellite network, which happened around then, I believe.  (A quick
check of the IAB minutes around that time did not find a reference
to the demise of SATNET.)  SATNET connected the US to our principle
European collaborators in TCP/IP development, the UK, Norway, and
West Germany.

Bob Braden