Fwd: Re: [ih] European and Asian participation around 1989

Geoff Huston gih at telstra.net
Tue Feb 25 20:52:31 PST 2003

from the dusty archive of my mind dept:

>>>Connectivity to Asia was pretty sparse in those days,
>>>only Japan and Australia I think.

and New Zealand

>>>   Jun Marai (Japan) and
>>>Geoff Huston who built AARnet and the initial US connectivity
>>>would remember the specific dates of when their connections
>>>came up.

New Zealand to Hawaii - around March 1989  14.4 analogue modem using
a cable circuit to Hawaii

Australia - around August 1989, using a 56Kbps satellite circuit to Hawaii

Japan around the same time, but I can't recall the month.

The Australian circuit was never  'taken down" although at one stage we
were informed that the  DoD routers were running close to table capacity
and we (AARNet) had to list those address prefixes where there was active
research activities that included a requirement to interface in to the DoD
networks. This was done and DoD connectivity for those that knew that
they needed it was never affected. Our connections to other federal research
networks and our transit services to other non-US Internet networks were
never affected.

regards,

   Geoff Huston