[ih] RE: Dec 1969 meeting and Telnet

Steve Crocker steve at stevecrocker.com
Tue Feb 25 07:51:16 PST 2003

In December 1969 we were in an awkward state.  The first few IMPs had
been installed and we didn't have a protocol suite ready.  We had rigged
a simple telnet-like protocol between UCLA and SRI as a demo.  Also, the
SRI guys had rigged a way to pass files back and forth to Utah in an ad
hoc fashion, although I'm unsure of the timing; it may have been later.
We kept groping for the right primitives to use as the base layer and we
hadn't quite settled on it.  Feeling pressured by the existence of the
IMPs and no host level software, we proposed to Larry Roberts that we
defer the general approach and simply build a telnet protocol directly.
(I think that's accurate; Vint or others may have a different
recollection.)  Larry firmly responded that he wanted to see the
generality and could accept the delay.

There weren't any formal minutes, but I don't recall whether someone
jotted this down in an RFC.

I don't quite understand your diagram, but perhaps the above answers
your question.

Steve

mailto:aca at cs.utexas.edu
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/~aca