[ih] Dec 1969 meeting and Telnet

Adriana C. Arrington aca at cs.utexas.edu
Tue Feb 25 07:37:55 PST 2003

I need clarification for the meeting in December of 1969 when
Larry Roberts "redirected" the implementers to try a more
layered approach (RFC 1000, p 4). What happened at that
meeting? Were there any minutes kept from that meeting?

>From what I can tell in RFC 15 and RFC 1000, it seems that
the first rejected version of the network protocols of December
1969 was not layered at all.  For instance, the "Telnet" at that
time encapsulated everything between the transport and application
layers, as we know them today. So then this solution was not
broad enough requiring the "redirection", layering and the
inventions of Host-Host and the next version of Telnet.

So did the network look something like this (based on RFC 15):

    -----------------------------
    | telnet |  random | text   |
    |        | compiler| editor |
    -----------------------------
    | OS with interface         |
    | to Host-IMP layer         |

instead of the layered design of Telnet, ICP, and Host-Host,
which came a year or so later??

What kind of asymmetry was in this first set of protocols
that is different than the asymmetry of Old Telnet
(see RFC 1000 p.4)?

Thanks again,
Adriana

mailto:aca at cs.utexas.edu