[ih] Re: anyone remember when the root servers were hi-jacked? (fwd)

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Tue Nov 12 14:11:18 PST 2002

Craig Partridge wrote:
> In message <3DD15996.2020209 at rkey.com>, Craig Simon writes:
>

>>Also, to respond directly to Dave Crocker's note: If the directive was
>>justified on the basis that NSI was on the verge of "going rogue," then
>>why even bother to call the directive a test? I'm aware of the very
>>longstanding worry in some circles that NSI might do such a thing, but
>>it would be useful to see any documentation that might have prompted the
>>perception that -- just as the Green Paper was being released --
>>*URGENT* action was necessary, either to pre-empt NSI, or to be ready
>>"just in case."
>

> It is my recollection (and I confess to not tracking these events closely)
> that Jon did a "test" which was, in large part, intended to demonstrate
> where the power to site root nameservers actually sat.  And so yes, it
> was a test, and yes it had a point, and because there was some political
> aspect to it, yes the timing was urgent.
>
> Craig

FWIW, my recollection of a conversation with Jon on the subject was that
the test was intended to focus on the technical challenge - or, more to
the point, the lack thereof - of moving the master root.

That included, as Craig observes, where the power was located, as well
as how much coordination was required and on what timescale it could be
achieved.

Joe