[ih] Fwd: RE: ARPANET Telnet design story

vinton g. cerf vinton.g.cerf at wcom.com
Fri Dec 20 01:03:48 PST 2002

we had an IMLAC at UCLA at one point and there was a special terminal that
SRI designed for use of NLS on the ARPANET (via TIP?) however I am not sure
any of this is especially germane to Telnet. Does anyone remember whether
the SRI NLS terminal used Telnet or a special protocol of its own?

vint

At 09:22 PM 12/19/2002 -0500, John Day wrote:
>At 16:43 -0800 12/19/02, Dave Crocker wrote:
>>vinton,
>>
>>Wednesday, December 18, 2002, 8:49:42 PM, you wrote:
>>vinton> see cerf comments in attached .doc file
>>
>>vinton> Actually, Englebart's system had a mouse, which we were well
>>vinton> acquainted with. They obviously weren't ubiquitous, and there
>>vinton> weren't any instances in the initial network of trying to use a
>>vinton> mouse to control a remote system, but the concept was certainly
>>vinton> visible to us from the very beginning.
>>
>>I think that SRI had the Imlac-based remote DNLS station -- and, therefore,
>>with a mouse -- working around early 74. I remember getting the UCLA Imlac
>>to run with it.
>
>Actually it was probably well before 74, RFC100 notes that SRI was porting NLS to an IMLAC.  I know we had one and had the code up and running but can't remember exactly what year it was.  But it certainly didn't take them 4 years to port it!  ;-)
>
>Take care,
>John

Vint Cerf
SVP Architecture & Technology