[ih] Origin of 'talk' command

Ofer Inbar cos at aaaaa.org
Thu Dec 19 13:16:08 PST 2002

Craig Milo Rogers <rogers at ISI.EDU> wrote:
> I also note, whether germane or not, that RFC 1459 (Internet Relay
> Chat, IRC) describes a service which is the multi-system equivalent
> of "talk".  [...]

IRC was very slow getting to RFC, and by the time 1459 was written it
was in very widespread use.  The original version of IRC was written
in 1988 by Jarkko Oikarinen at the University of Oulu, Finland.  That
makes it a much later innovation than some of the others people are
talking about here, in addition to being less IM-like.  So, no,
probably not relevant to the IM patent issue, but perhaps relevant to
an internet-history thread about the history of talk.

  --  Cos (Ofer Inbar)       --   cos at aaaaa.org  http://cos.polyamory.org/
  --  Exodus Communications  --  cos at exodus.net  http://www.exodus.net/
   "OSI is a beautiful dream, and TCP/IP is living it!"
     -- Einar Stefferud <Stef at nma.com>, IETF mailing list, 12 May 1992