[ih] "Those who don't understand * [will] reinvent it"

Mike Padlipsky the.map at alum.mit.edu
Wed Nov 28 15:29:33 PST 2001

At 08:13 AM 11/28/01, you wrote:
>     The closest I can find is a statement by Mike Padlipsky to the effect
>that the OSI protocols were "reinvented" ARPA protocols (TCP-IP note send
>15 April 1989).

nice to be remembered.  amusingly enough, tho, the closest i can find is in
the very next msg in my 'in-box', where lloyd wood cites the santayana line
that i'm confident the questioned lines are allusions to  ... and was
already confident of that explanation when i read the initial msg, i might add.

[he apparently cites it more accurately than i'd remembered it, i might
also add: i 'always' thought it was merely 'those who ignore history are
condemned to repeat it', somehow  -- probably because that's how it's
commonly misquoted by those who like to [mis]quote santayana, come to think
of it.  not that i feel up to doublechecking in/on 'bartleby', of c., being
retired, after all, and never all that scholarly to begin w/.  residual
intellectual curiosity did prompt me to look in my elderly p-_odq_ a few
mins. ago, but when it wasn't there i figured i'd put in enough effort on
the intellectual curiosity front for one day.]

what's left of my memory serves a fault on the particular line of mine you
mention, b/t/w, but i'm certain that whenever i used reinvention in
connection w/ isorm-based protocols i had reinventing the wheel -- and/or
the travois; cf. p. 222 of The Book -- in mind rather than a play on
santayana, whom i only ever talked about in connection w/ one of my
favorite teaching stories from my pre-computer days, wh/ clearly isn't even
remotely relevant to '[ih]'....

cheers, map

[whose shoulder problems caused him to break down some time ago and create
a 'signature' file to apologize for the lack of his formerly customary
e-volubility -- and who's been employing shiftless typing for a long time
now to spare his wristsnfingers, in case you didn't know ... and who's
further broken down and done http://www.lafn.org/~ba213/mapstuff.html ,
rather grudgingly]