[ih] "Those who don't understand * [will] reinvent it"

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Wed Nov 28 08:13:58 PST 2001

The widely attributed quote for Spencer appears to be:

I cannot find a similar quote for TCP, either by searching Google (which turns
up lots of Spencer UNIX quotes), or by searching my archives of the End-to-End,
IETF-Hosts, or TCP-IP.  All but the TCP-IP archive are close to complete.

    The closest I can find is a statement by Mike Padlipsky to the effect
that the OSI protocols were "reinvented" ARPA protocols (TCP-IP note send
15 April 1989).

Craig