[ih] OOT: What is a stack?

Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim rms46 at vlsm.org
Mon Jul 30 19:15:54 PDT 2001

Hello:

I have no idea where to follow up this issue; hopefully this
list is the best fit.

James P. Salsman wrote on the IETF list:

> Speaking of prevention measures, is there anything in
> i386 architecture which can prevetn execution of code
> on the stack, or is that exclusive to SPARCitecture?

I am not familiar with SPARC, cmiiw, it uses 32 multipurpose
registers with a sliding window. Therefore, what is exactly
"prevent execution of code on the stack" ?

Speaking of stack history, how many processors that actually
call one of its register as a "stack pointer"? Intel 8XXX,
Zilog, what else?

How about PDP-11, does R5 count as a stack pointer?
How about HP-1000, where a return address was stored
in the front of a subroutine (Jump save address)?

regards,

--
Rahmat M. Samik-Ibrahim - VLSM-TJT - http://rms46.vlsm.org
- Hi! How are you? I send you this in order to have advice