[ih] OSI and alternate reality

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Fri Mar 15 10:52:08 PDT 2024

>  From a purely technical standpoint, without any of the
> bureaucratic barriers ISO IP and TP4 could have been the basis for the
> Internet.

It is pretty much always true that if things had been different, things
would be different.

It is also true that a) things taken in isolation often look much better
than when taken in aggregation, and b) a thing that is proposed or even
implemented in small scale can look far more appealing than something
tested at scale.

As an integrated design, OSI was vastly too complex, notably incomplete,
and vastly under-tested.  That portions of it had good and possibly
superior design is largely irrelevant to the question of history.

So, for example, the fact that CLNP had a larger address space sounds
obviously appealing, until one notes a lack of design and testing for
the use of those bits.  At scale.  A problem that troubled IPv6, too.

The technical, operational, economic, and political realities of the two
communities were profoundly different.  If the Internet community had
not existed, we would have had some sort of global, digital service, but
it would have been or been like what the global, telecom standards
community in fact produced.  And that is nothing like what we now have.
In spite of bits of it being similar.

d/

--
Dave Crocker