[ih] Internet-history Digest, Vol 52, Issue 4

Johan Helsingius julf at Julf.com
Fri Mar 15 07:34:52 PDT 2024

On 15/03/2024 15:19, Andrew Odlyzko via Internet-history wrote:

> Yes, PTTs were definitely trying to preserve their monopolies.
> But I am pretty sure that if the Internet had not come out
> when it did, what the public sees and does would have turned
> out pretty much the same, but delayed a couple of years.

I think I have to disagree. The Internet was a success because
it was open-ended, and from the start assumed that people would
do all sorts of unexpected stuff on top of the protocols, while
the OSI/CCITT people tried to come up with all the ways to
use the net, and then define (by committee) complicated
protocols for each application.

	Julf