[ih] February email changes

Douglas Lucas dal at riseup.net
Tue Jan 23 09:11:39 PST 2024

Earlier this list discussed forthcoming changes that might impact email
delivery. Today I received an email from a WordPress plugin, WP Mail
SMTP, advising these changes may affect plugin subscribers. A few days
ago I also corresponded with a tech at a small email provider who said
they did not think this list's concerns about the February email changes
are overblown (I'd forwarded a link to the initial email on the topic).
That technician said they were most concerned about harmful impacts on
the ability to forward one email account to another email account at a
separate provider. For instance, a person or organization might have
multiple public-facing email addresses, but only one that they actually
manage their email from.

WP Mail SMTP published a blog post about this whole topic yesterday:
https://wpmailsmtp.com/fix-gmail-blocking-emails/

I'm not really sophisticated enough to assess it. In the case of my
blog, DouglasLucas.com/blog, I have an automatic service where
commenters can optionally sign up for a notification email if their
comment makes it past the moderation hold; they can optionally sign up
to be notified if additional comments are made to the blog post beyond
theirs; and so on. These notification emails come from an address that's
ultimately run/managed by my web hosting company. Because it's run by my
web hosting company, and not me, WP Mail SMTP did not spit out DKIM etc
compliance info upon my sending a test email. So short of discussing
with my web host, I simply have to wait and see how the biggest fish,
e.g., gmail, yahoo, etc., respond to a medium- to small-size fish (my
web hosting provider) sending out these notification auto-emails.

Hope this is of some interest.