[ih] Failures of the early Internet

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Mon Jan 22 15:28:02 PST 2024

Ahah!  Another piece of history falls into place.

I recall Vint asking me at some point if I'd be willing to take over the
gateway work and turn the core Internet into a 24x7 operation, as the
Arpanet had become by then.  I didn't have a clue how to do that but it
sounded like a fun project so I said "Sure".   That may have occurred at
the same Internet meeting that Noel recalls.

The gateway work moved shortly thereafter, from BBN Div4 (where Packet
Radio work happened) to BBN Div6 (where Arpanet and various TCP
implementations were done).

I didn't find out until years later that some of the Div4 folks were
sure that I had "stolen" their project.   That wasn't true, but I was
blamed for it.

Now we know the Truth.   Noel was the culprit!

Jack Haverty