[ih] Really old list archives Was: google groups going away feb 22

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Sat Jan 20 11:21:39 PST 2024

On 20/01/2024 16:44, Dave Crocker via Internet-history wrote:
> On 1/20/2024 8:21 AM, Andrew G. Malis wrote:
>> 1980 is pretty good, seeing as the IETF formed in 1986.
>
> prescient?
>
> However the second message has the date 8 April 1992, so some form of
> typo seems more likely, if less interesting.

That got me to dig deep into my own memory and I am actually quite
surprised I remembered this, but 4 Jan 1980 rang a bell... and it is the
default date that the BIOS in early PCs recognised. Back in the day on
early PC boards the battery was a couple of AA batteries in a holder
attached to some part of the board using a velcro and the PC lost its
date quite frequently.

Just like Unix boxes recognise 1 Jan 1970 as their default time.

So I think this first entry could be a default date.
Kindest regards,

Olivier

--
Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond, PhD