[ih] Dave Mills has passed away

John Kristoff jtk at dataplane.org
Fri Jan 19 08:50:26 PST 2024

On Thu, 18 Jan 2024 20:35:14 -0500
vinton cerf via Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org>
wrote:

> His daughter, Leigh, just sent me the news that Dave passed away
> peacefully on January 17, 2024. He was such an iconic element of the
> early Internet. Network Time Protocol, the Fuzzball routers of the
> early NSFNET, INARG taskforce lead, COMSAT Labs and University of
> Delaware and so much more.

I regret never having the opportunity to meet Dave in person, but it
should come as no surprise that his impact and influence was vast.

I searched around for my earliest references when I was putting together
time servers for a university where I was doing netops at the turn of
the century.  I ended up using some old (at the time) 1U Cisco
2500/2600 routers as stratum-2's on campus.  These things had lifetime
warranties which was an advantage, but one of the main reasons I felt
comfortable using these things for time service was a note I came
across that Dave wrote.  He said Dave Katz essentially put ntpd's v3
code in these things.  That was good enough for me.

John