[ih] Endliss misconceptions about Email reliability

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Mon Jan 15 13:19:35 PST 2024

It appears that Jack Haverty via Internet-history <jack at 3kitty.org> said:
>Apparently if receivers of a distribution list email somehow tag it as
>spam, it may lead to that list being categorized as a spam source and

Nope.

I run a bunch of lists on my own server, and I'm signed up for a lot
of feedback loops. Every once in a while someone reports a message or
two from a list as spam. (For reasons I have never been able to figure
out, a folk dance club's members do this a lot.) So I unsubscribe them
and that's that. Half the time they complain and insist that they
never reported anything as spam but I am confident that they are
mistaken.

>all its email being filtered out because the site is now listed on one
>of many "blacklists"?

Nope. I have often said that any fool can run a blacklist and a lot of
fools do. You can see hundreds of them at https://multirbl.valli.org/.
Of those hundreds of lists I'd say perhaps three are widely used and
none of them have anything to do with mail feedback loops.

If you get a lot of spam feedback reports from a mailbox provider and
don't do anything about it, the mailbox provider is likely to block
mail from you, but what else do you expect? It's your job to send mail
that people want, and not to send mail they dislike so much that they
complain.

R's,
John