[ih] Email reliability

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Mon Jan 15 11:39:29 PST 2024

Many of my other mailing-list subscriptions are failing more than
usual.  Someone on one of them noted:

"Virtually every e-mail service now has feedback loops built in where,
when someone marks a message as spam, that information is sent back to
the email service provider and they use this to tweak their spam
filters.  Some are much more discriminating about how this is done than
others are and, for some, all it takes is a very few spam reports for
something to suddenly become classified on the server side as spam.
"

Apparently if receivers of a distribution list email somehow tag it as
spam, it may lead to that list being categorized as a spam source and
all its email being filtered out because the site is now listed on one
of many "blacklists"?

IMHO, Internet Mail is seriously broken and getting worse.   Is there
any organization or authority (ISOC, IETF, FCC, ISO, PTTs, governments,
UN, whatever...) who accepts responsibility for the viability of email?

Jack Haverty