[ih] Email reliability

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Sun Jan 14 12:25:07 PST 2024

On 1/14/24 14:06, Jack Haverty via Internet-history wrote:
> Found it, thanks.  I was looking at the headers of a "direct" message
> instead of the copy I usually get via internet-history.

;-)

> The internet-history processor adds fields to the header, but also
> modifies the body of the message, e.g., inserting the "footer" with the
> list information.  Among other things, that breaks my PGP signature.

The broken PGP signature speaks the message from the mailing list NOT
being the message that you sent.

> However it also appears that the "new" message with the altered From
> field and message body, still has the original Message-ID field that my
> composer assigned.  But it's no longer the message that I wrote... it's
> been modified in transit.   Isn't such behavior in violation of something?

It seems to me like there are two schools of thought; 1st the message is
the body and all headers / envelope that you send (this is where I land)
and 2) the message is /only/ the body and maybe only in spirit.

My opinion is that mailing lists are a terminal point.  As such they are
an MUA, not an MTA.  Mailing lists receive a copy of a message and
generate a new and completely independent message substantively based on
the message they received.  But the message in to and out of a mailing
list are two substantively different messages.  As such, I believe they
should have different Message-IDs.

I think this view on mailing lists also speaks to all forwarding issues
that I'm aware of.  Any shortcuts that fall short of this end up having
problems.

But that's my opinion and I digress.

--
Grant. . . .