[ih] Early History of the Internet

Karl Auerbach karl at iwl.com
Wed Jan 10 12:39:15 PST 2024

You are right about complexity of hardware.  Ethernet was genius - a
marvel of simplicity in the way it extrapolated from the way we humans
talk in a noisy room to the world of electronic communications with
minimal inter-device coordination.  Was the Aloha net the first to do
this kind of thing?

But lest we think Ethernet went smoothly at first, let us pause and
remember the original 3COM 3C501 Ethernet card - it took too long to
recover from a transmit operation to be ready to receive a response
packet from a fast peer.  I think I banged my head against several walls
trying to get a 3C501 work on a slow PC/AT using Romkey/Bridgham PC/IP
when the other end was an early Sun workstation.

DCS did indeed depend on the properties of their network - it was
essentially a broadcast medium with an additional interesting function:
When the packet went around the ring and came back to the sender there
was a flag that indicated whether any device had accepted the message
(and copied it from the ring.)  This served as a kind of "someone is
interested" acknowledgement with effectively zero cost.

(I vaguely remember another similar flag that was set as the packet went
around the ring, but my memory has faded about that.)

If I remember correctly the actual transmission signal format was based
on telco T-1.

I get the impression that Dave Farber is rather pleased that his project
undermined the IBM patent on token rings.

         --karl--