[ih] Early History of the Internet

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Wed Jan 10 12:20:38 PST 2024

On 1/10/2024 12:03 PM, Karl Auerbach via Internet-history wrote:
> I first became aware of that work in the rather early 1970s when I was
> at SDC.  Frank Heinrich (one of Farber's students) had worked on a
> distributed file system for DCS.

When Dave showed me one of the network cards for DCS, the
token-vs-contention battles were underway.  He explained some aspects of
the card, including the part that did token resolution at startup.

It took a quarter of the real-estate and used a contention-based
scheme.  Given this, it seemed clear to me that, absent extremely strong
needs for highly predictable access times, this meant that Ethernet
would win handily.

d/

--
Dave Crocker