[ih] The Decline and Fall of Internet Email?

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Tue Feb 13 15:00:31 PST 2024

On 2/13/2024 2:39 PM, John R. Levine via Internet-history wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Feb 2024, Bill Woodcock wrote:
>> Micropayment bonds.  Yes, retrofitting that onto the current system
>> of email would be very difficult. ...
>
> Gee, it seems like just yesterday that I was saying e-postage is the
> bad idea that just won't go away.

This is an example of an especially consistent pattern, over the history
of the Net, when talking about how to solve security-related issues:
good theory that ignores bad history and even worse design detail.

That is, an entirely reasonable and appealing idea which has either or
both of far too little design detail to permit serious testing and
deployment, or a history of failing technically or failing on usability
or failing on market appeal, where market appeal often includes
overcoming installed base momentum.

There were several efforts to create multi-media email.  All were done
by thoughtful people.  Some, like X.400, even had massive governmental
and industrial support.  All failed.  At least one quite spectacularly.

We finally got multi-media by creating an overlay that did not touch the
infrastructure and only required support in the author's MUA and the
recipients' MUAs.

The common refrain, to a long history of very poor uptake of a security
mechanism, is a version of "We just have to try harder". I suggest that
instead, a long history of missing a reasonable adoption goal should
prompt rethinking the approach.

d/

--
Dave Crocker