[ih] The Decline and Fall of Internet Email?

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Sun Feb 11 03:47:05 PST 2024

    > From: Jack Haverty

    > Internet email seems to be rapidly evolving into the mechanism for
    > "junk mail". ... For history's sake, how did the reliability of network
    > email get from the 1980s to today?

This isn't really history, but I'll allow myself a very brief reply: "tragedy
of the commons". i) It's free (as in, those who use it don't bear most of the
cost of providing it), plus ii) human nature.

You can't change ii). Is it even possible, at this point, to change i) - and
if we did, would it be anything like the email you loved?

	Noel