[ih] Consider the mess

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Sat Feb 10 12:35:17 PST 2024

On 2/10/2024 11:55 AM, Dave Crocker wrote:
> enhanced use of DMARC

The convention for achieving successful delivery, when transiting a
mailing is, in effect, to route around DMARC.

That is, the mailing list changes the From: field email address to be
the mailing list rather than the original author. So a receiving site
will not trigger DMARC analysis for the Author's domain name.

In effect, this means that the From: field has been coerced to be what
the Sender: field is intended for.  Namely, an indication of a handler,
not an author.

In order to preserve a clean copy of the actual author information,
there is now a spec for an additional email address field, uncreatively
named Author:.

The premise is that it can survive mailing list transit, unmodified.
There is a claim that bad actors will somehow abuse this, but I haven't
seen an analysis of what that would be or why it would work.

However I also haven't seen any uptake for the Author: field.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking