[ih] Consider the mess (was: Re: Email from Yahoo

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Sat Feb 10 11:55:23 PST 2024

On 2/10/2024 11:16 AM, Jack Haverty wrote:
> Bottom line - it's a mess.

TLDR:  It is.  But...

Expanded comment:

I often cite the difference between a small town, where no one locks
their doors, versus a place like New York City, where a door is built
more like a steel vault.  Differences in environment require differences
in behavior and tools.

This is not the original Internet.  Now, 90-95% of the mail crossing the
open Internet is from bad actors.  So increases in protection mechanism
for email are obviously required. Unfortunately, automating that
protection is both difficult and imperfect, in spite of being done by a
substantial community of bright, knowledgeable, well-motivated folk.

Perfect protection against online abuse -- including email spam and
phishing -- will be accomplished when we achieve perfect protection from
crime IRL.

This guarantees that any current, viable email system is going to be
complex and that operating it is going to be complex.

That is, email development and operation at scale is, in practical
terms, now strictly the realm of expert teams.

A separate line of consideration is the set of tools and standards that
are available to aid in that protection.  IMO they vary between a mess
in their own right -- cough... SPF -- to inherently limited, like DKIM.

I don't seem to be able to comment on SPF without ranting, so I won't
comment on SPF.

DKIM however uses known tech in ways easily understood by technicians
with basic systems and crypto (use, not design) skills.  And it has
shown slow but reasonable adoption and use at scale.  (It made some
design choices that greatly aided this relative success, given how
grenerally poorly it seems crypto-based tools are adopted, other than
SSL/TLS.)

Unfortunately the serious impediment to doing better is the challenge of
using true, end-to-end thinking AND considering all users as equal.  So
we tend to have point solutions rather than systems solution, and we
tend not to explore full, end-to-end usage very seriously.

Worse is that collateral damage is often dismissed.  So, for example,
the adoption of DMARC for use beyond its original design intent is the
reason mailing list transit has become problematic. Mailing lists have
been in place for 45 years and in terms of email architecture, they work
the same now as they did 45 years ago.

But the response from folk who support the enhanced use of DMARC, when
it is noted that behavior valid for 45 years has become invalid, is
entirely dismissive.  Those affected are not, after all, the customers
of the advocates.  (Well, OK.  ARC was developed as a response, but it
has issues and is not yet a serious player in the real world of email...)

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking