[ih] patents and public stewardship

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Sun Feb 4 12:47:23 PST 2024

On 2/4/2024 12:35 PM, Jack Haverty via Internet-history wrote:
> Was all that effort across many different organizations planned and
> coordinated?
> But was there some "GIP", or "Government Internet Plan" that drove all
> of the decisions made within organizations such as ARPA, DoD, NIST,
> NSF, et al and acted as a "Plan B" to the GOSIP vision?

I was not in the middle of TCP's creation or development but was around
some early 'promotion' activities and latter 'solidifying' activities.
CSNet > NSFNet early, and then commercialization later.

My impression is that there was never an integrated 'government' plan',
but rather there was a set of distributed efforts by various folk  --
some within the US government and some not -- making independent decisions.

It's not as if people didn't know each other, but from my relatively
outsider vantage point it felt much more like incremental adoption of
complementary goals.  Individuals in different positions seeing an
opportunity to make something useful happen and taking that
opportunity.  Both with the underlying tech and with operational
deployment and use of it.

d/

--
Dave Crocker