[ih] patents and public stewardship

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Sun Feb 4 12:35:33 PST 2024

Looking at the world from the other end of the spectrum from the
corporate/government...

Today, if an engineer invents something, and wants to make some money
from that invention or even give it away for general public benefit, how
would you accomplish that?

 From my admittedly anecdotal experience over about 2 years of patent
battle, it seemed to me that the only way to participate in the patent
system is to be a very large corporation, or at least an individual with
deep pockets able to withstand the possible years or decades of battle
in the system.

In addition, it seemed that there was no individual or organization
inside "the system" that had any incentive to ever resolve a patent
dispute, except of course the litigants.  Patent lawyers, judges, PTO
examiners, experts, legal clerks, corporate patent departments, et al
have job security as long as the battles rage on.

Getting back to internet history...

I was surprised when I discovered the networking patent that DCEC had
secured, and arranged for it to be freely usable by anyone. Then it
occurred to me that perhaps their work was part of some larger plan.  It
meshed in nicely with other events of the day (1980s).  For example,
NIST had created a TCP testing program, DoD had changed its procurement
policies to require TCP to be implemented in all its relevant purchases,
ARPA had spent considerable funds creating implementations of TCP and
making them freely available and, unlike OSI, making all the related
documentation free for public use.   DCA had orchestrated a complex
migration of its installed base from Arpanet (NCP) to Internet (TCP).
Probably there were other such actions that I don't remember or never
knew about at the time.

Was all that effort across many different organizations planned and
coordinated?

Governments are good at making plans, generating documents, and
establishing policies.  Back in the 80s, there was a significant US
program called "GOSIP", which I think stood for "Government OSI Plan".
It laid out the plan for conversion of the US government communications
from a melange of technologies, including the 'TCP Experiment", into a
new communications architecture based on OSI.

That of course never happened.   TCP won.  But was there some "GIP", or
"Government Internet Plan" that drove all of the decisions made within
organizations such as ARPA, DoD, NIST, NSF, et al and acted as a "Plan
B" to the GOSIP vision?  Or was all of that just coincidental decisions
by various people inside parts of the US government?

There's a lot of historical record of the development of technology -
protocols etc., but I haven't stumbled across much concerning the
"people behind the curtain" making the Internet happen.   For example,
was the DCEC effort to secure patents on some Internet-related
technology a result of some DoD directive?   Or was it just that someone
(Ed Cain?  Bob Lyons?) that just decided it was a good idea and did it
"under the radar"?

Now that the Internet long ago grew beyond its role as a DoD Experiment,
I wouldn't expect pieces of DoD (such as DCEC) to be responsible for
"making the Internet happen".   It's a global and international task
now.  But who inherited the role to make the Internet happen?

Jack Haverty