[ih] early networking

Steve Crocker steve at shinkuro.com
Tue Apr 30 14:07:05 PDT 2024

John,

My understanding re the idea for the IMPs is slightly different.  Yes,
there was pushback from some of the sites, but I have understood the
introduction of the IMP idea came from Wes Clark.  (See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wesley_A._Clark)  He was deeply involved with
small computers.  The introduction of  the IMPs into the design provided a
clean separation between the subnet and the hosts.  The reliability of
the overall system was dependent only on the IMPs and the lines.  In those
days, it was fairly rare for an operating system to have 24 hours of
continuous operation.

Re the protocol, the few of us who were involved at the outset of the host
level protocol design focused on connections as the basic building block.
I'll take the blame for this narrow focus if we need someone to blame.  (On
the other hand, if it's a matter of giving credit, there were several of
us.)  Walden's IPC concept came along after we were far down the path of
designing the host-host protocol.  That said, general interprocess
communication was part of our thinking from the start.

John White from UCSB also pushed for remote procedure calls as a basic
building block.  It was a powerful idea but didn't dissuade us from
choosing a virtual bitstream as the building block.  Maybe it should have.

Along a separate path, Danny Cohen was interested in real-time
applications, particularly voice and flight simulation.  His work, among
others, led to using messages that were not subject to flow control.

In all cases, the notion of layers was fundamental and an intrinsic part of
everyone's thinking coming out of the August 1968 meeting.

Steve

On Mon, Apr 29, 2024 at 3:58 PM John Day via Internet-history <