[ih] Where are we preserving these early documents? Re: early networking: "the solution"

Greg Skinner gregskinner0 at icloud.com
Sat Apr 27 20:34:06 PDT 2024

On Apr 27, 2024, at 10:49 AM, Jack Haverty via Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:
> How did mere Users experience the Internet?   From the earliest days of dial-up, and services such as Compuserve, Lotus Notes, to the World Wide Web, what was the Users' experience?
>
> IMHO, all of those perspectives, and more, are parts of Internet History, not even captured or well preserved.
>
> Jack Haverty

I imagine one could get a fairly good sense of how (end) users experienced the Internet by starting with old ARPAnet mailing lists (such as sf-lovers[1]) and Usenet groups (such as net.music[2]).  While the earliest messages are probably US-centric and techie-oriented, as time went on, those groups came to reflect more of the world’s population.

--gregbo

[1] http://mercury.lcs.mit.edu/~jnc/tech/sflovers/
[2] http://gopher.quux.org:70/Archives/usenet-a-news/NET.music