[ih] Where are we preserving these early documents? Re: early networking: "the solution"

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Mon Apr 22 10:04:04 PDT 2024

That document I put on Google Drive came out of a box in my basement,
where it has been for about 45 years now.  I have no idea why I kept
that particular folder for so long.   I guess it seemed important.  Or
maybe it just got stuck in the file cabinet.

AFAIK, the 1979 event was the first "Bakeoff" to test interoperability
across multiple Arpa projects.  Prior to that, TCP implementations had
been able to interact, as needed for specific projects.  E.g., the
Packet Radio project involved several different computers interacting
with TCP.  My own implementation (PDP-11/40 running Unix V6) was part of
a Network Security research project, and had successfully interacted
with Jim Mathis' TCP running on LSI-11s.  Since Jim's code was what I
started with to create the Unix TCP, it wasn't very surprising that they
could talk to each other.

At the time, TCP itself was in a state of continuous flux. Everyone's
probably heard of TCP2 and TCP/IP4.  But at the time we were dealing
with "specifications" such as "TCP+epsilon" and "TCP+epsilon+2" and
briefly even "TCP 3".   That 1979 Bakeoff was an attempt to get a mix of
Arpa projects "on the same page" with their protocol implementations.
TCP was changing rapidly as experiences and new ideas flowed across the
'net.

I suspect most of the details of that evolution have been lost since it
was only captured in email exchanges among the implementers, using
ascii-art illustrations of header formats.   Jon suffered as the
"scribe" for Arpa, capturing snapshots in occasional IENs and RFCs.
RFC 1025 is a good example (thanks Greg!).  There was far more
discussion, argument, and debate carried out in 1980+-10 using our new
electronic toy of the 'net.

I think that period of history, roughly between the advent of email on
the Arpanet (early 1970s?) and the advent of the Web (early 1990s?), was
an inflection point in history.  In prior eras, discussions were
captured in traditional forms such as journals and conference
proceedings.  As the Web proliferated, and sites such as archve.org
appeared, there was a new mechanism for capturing and publishing.

In between there were few ways to preserve those email discussions.
The NIC at SRI, and the Datacomputer at CCA provided rudimentary new
ways to store content for posterity.  The Datacomputer had the ability
to store a massive entire Terabit of stuff people considered important
to save.  Surely that was enough memory for everyone on the 'net....
But those machines are long gone, and I haven't found any place today
preserving whatever was on them back then.

To answer Dan's question -- there are lots of such stories, many of
which I've related on this list.  I've been hoping others would chime in
with their own stories.   I try to only relate what I remember, but
there was lots of the history that I wasn't part of.

The Internet is far more complex, and its history more intricate, than I
think even today's technology of websites, forums, email, and such can
handle.   IMHO, the Web was the "next killer app" that we all spent
years seeking after the Arpanet triggered the creation of NVTs (Network
Virtual Terminals), Telnet, FTP, and Email.  The Web changed the world,
but it's now 30 years old.   What's next...?

Personally, I've been playing with "Mind Maps", and recently stumbled
onto Obsidian.  I'm collecting my stories into an Obsidian "vault",
which seems like it might provide a way to organize what is a very
complicated history.  But of course my vault will only capture what I
remember and experienced.

But such a "vault" is just a bunch of files.  Perhaps someone will
figure out a way to embed such vaults into the Internet, and for people
to connect their vaults together as an archival quality repository.

Somewhere out there is a hacker who might read this email, say "Yes, we
can do that" and start writing code.

Perhaps some AI is already working on it.

Jack Haverty