[ih] early networking

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Sat Apr 20 15:36:41 PDT 2024

On 4/20/24 10:16, Matt Mathis via Internet-history wrote:
> In my mind the crucial event was to split TCP and IP into
> separate protocols, such that there was deep architectural enforcement of
> the hourglass and the orthogonality of the upper and lower protocol
> layers.   This orthogonality means that the cost of  maintaining M
> applications over N link types scales as O(M)+O(N).

Agreed.

FYI, this notion of an "hourglass" with IP at the neck was foreshadowed
earlier in the design of the basic Arpanet protocols. E.g., the notion
of a "Network Virtual Terminal" or NVT was the "neck of the hourglass"
which simplified the MxN problem for connecting all sorts of terminals
(each with their own characteristics) to all sorts of computers (each
with its own idea of what a terminal looked like).   The NVT allowed the
two groups to work independently to make their components "look like" an
NVT to the other side of the neck.

That "hourglass" technique became an essential principle of network
design.   In the case of terminals, it was a way of interconnecting two
often disparate worlds, so that, for example, an IBM terminal speaking
EBCDIC could interact successfully with a TOPS-20 mainframe expecting to
see terminals using ASCII and RS-232.   The concept was also used
elsewhere, e.g., to define various kinds of "network file systems" such
as NFS.

See, for example, https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc318

The introduction of a "neck" also facilitated the creation of other
"hourglasses", if you could define a way to convert as needed to be
compatible with the neck's constraints.   In the case of TCP/IP, that
enabled the creation of UDP, running directly over IP, as a hopefully
more appropriate way to carry voice traffic, for which timely delivery
of as much as possible was more important than getting everything
delivered.

That diversity also motivated the definition of TOS (Type Of Service),
anticipating that the underlying IP service might need to handle
different kinds of traffic in different ways - as soon as someone
figured out how to do so and there was enough CPU and memory to
implement it, and metrics within the Internet evolved to use actual
transit time instead of "hops".

Jack