[ih] early competition and networking

touch at strayalpha.com touch at strayalpha.com
Mon Apr 15 21:38:54 PDT 2024

> On Apr 15, 2024, at 9:28 PM, Leonard Kleinrock via Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:
>
> Actually, OR was in full bloom following World War II in the late 50s and 60s. Optimization of network topology and network link capacity for computer networks was started by a number of us well before the 70s.

Indeed - the history goes back to at least WW1 supply chain logistics.

And it originated with some very familiar names - Blaise Pascal and Charles Babbage among them.

The BSTJ was full of OR papers and had a nice overview in 2000 in a 3-part series (sadly paywalled):

https://www.jstor.org/stable/223139

(Like many aspects of modern CS, there are origins often overlooked; I wish 1% of the papers analyzing web and social media links realized they were rediscovering sociology.)

Joe