[ih] Speaking of layering and gateways

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Mon Apr 15 20:04:58 PDT 2024

It appears that Jack Haverty via Internet-history <jack at 3kitty.org> said:
>Today we have container terminals, where cranes lift containers between
>rail cars and trucks.  We might call both of these "gateways"...

Containers are a standard size and shape and can be transported in
many ways including ships, trains, and trucks, and moved from one to
the other without looking inside. Seems a like like packets, no?

It is not my impression that there are a lot of loads suitable for
containers but big enough to be be subject to fragmentation and
reassembly.

R's,
John