[ih] Speaking of layering and gateways

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Mon Apr 15 13:18:33 PDT 2024

Good summary!  That's a description of the techniques used and problems
encountered *within* the "railway networks".   Perhaps railroad gauge
diversity in the 19th century was recreated as multiprotocol routers in
the 20th.   Both were abandoned as soon as possible.

But rails didn't usually get all the way to the sources and
destinations.    In the 1800s, for example there were "team tracks",
where a railcar could be placed by a platform with a road on the other
side - where you would park your team of horses and their wagon for the
next, or previous, leg of the journey over a road or cartpath network.
Today we have container terminals, where cranes lift containers between
rail cars and trucks.  We might call both of these "gateways"...

I also remember thinking about the economic aspects of rail transport.
Cargo was often charged by weight and distance.  But some railroads
charged different amounts for different cargoes even of the same
weight.  That practice is even captured in a folk song:
https://www.johnnycash.com/track/rock-island-line-3/

Of course there were many distinct railroad companies, each with their
own network, and sometimes cargo had to traverse multiple such
networks.   Railroads met at "junctions", often triggering the creation
of a surrounding town - e.g., Colorado Junction.    There were rules for
operation of such junctions, mutually agreed by the railroads
involved.   In today's Internet, we call such places IXPs.

There were complex agreements, rules, and regulations developed over
time.  For example, railroad cars full of goods generated revenue for
the rails carrying them.   But empty cars still had to somehow get back
to their owners.  So such cars were carried "for free" but lower in
priority.  Similarly, perishable products (such as fruit) got express
service and special handling such as refrigeration. Fruit spoils much
more rapidly than coal.  Latency was critical then.  Still is today.

Such thinking was a motivation behind the inclusion of "Type of Service"
in TCP4.  But today it seems that the only metric for network service on
the Internet is bandwidth.   A 100-car train of coal can move a lot of
weight over a long distance.  But a "Pacific Fruit Express" train could
get those California fruits to the markets of the East Coast before they
devolved into garbage.   The Internet today can readily handle my backup
needs.   But it can't always deliver my interactive video.

Networks since ancient times have also experienced "dropped packets".
Right now, archaeologists are exploring newly found parts of Pompeii.
I suspect they'll find amphoras lost centuries ago.  Similarly, cranes
are working in Baltimore harbor to retrieve containers that fell into
the ocean just a few weeks ago - more "lost packets".

I still think that there's a lot to be learned by looking at the history
of such "transport infrastructures" to see how and why they chose
certain techniques and mechanisms, what the experience was in real use,
and how the lessons learned can be applied to the Internet infrastructure.

Jack Haverty