[ih] Speaking of layering and gateways

Alejandro Pisanty apisanty at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 18:45:49 PDT 2024

John, all,

as you mention rail ferries, you may find useful an additional data point,
there are rail ferries in operation in the southern side of the United
States, connecting Mobile, Alabama, with the port and industrial city of
Coatzacoalcos, in the Gulf of Mexico coast of Mexico. This service is about
to get more interesting because it has been connected to the Pacific Coast
by a revamped rail line called Ferrocarril del Istmo de Tehuantepec, and
the port on the Pacific Side, Salina Cruz, is also being revamped with,
among other things, dredging for depth and an almost two-mile long
breakwater. This is foreseen to provide an alternate to the Panama Canal
for some freights (we do not believe at all that it scales for Panamax and
the like.) To break or challenge all packet analogies, there are two
transductors, one sea-to-land and the other land-to-sea, and the rail
trains are packed in parallel in 6 or 8 rows in the ferries. There's
buffering and delays all over and let's hope for no packet loss on land or
sea.

Quick piece on this in the news,
https://www.freightwaves.com/news/us-mexican-partnership-to-expand-international-rail-car-ferry-service

Now please continue the interesting discussion!

Alejandro Pisanty

On Mon, Apr 15, 2024 at 6:34 PM John R. Levine via Internet-history <

> >> Very nice article!
>
> Thanks.  I turned it into a blog post:  https://jl.ly/Internet/gauge.html
>
> > Cars and trucks are encapsulated in a train for the Channel Tunnel
> > between England and France. Alternatively, they are encapsulated in
> > boats. Both systems are exposed to head-of-line blocking, are best
> > effort, and implement collision avoidance.
>
> I'm not sure quite how far I want to push this.
>
> There is one remaining passenger train ferry in Europe, from Italy to
> Sicily.  In the US there are no passenger train ferries, but there is a
> long distance freight rail ferry between Seattle and Alaska, and NYNJ rail
> across NY harbor because the closest rail bridge across the Hudson is 140
> miles north in Selkirk.
>
> R's,
> John

     Dr. Alejandro Pisanty
Facultad de Química UNAM
Av. Universidad 3000, 04510 Mexico DF Mexico
+525541444475
Blog: http://pisanty.blogspot.com
Unete al grupo UNAM en LinkedIn,
http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/22285/4A106C0C8614