[ih] early competition and networking

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Mon Apr 15 09:27:43 PDT 2024

On Mon, 15 Apr 2024, John Day wrote:

> To some degree, ‘back in the day’ was pretty recently. ;-) Long after the fundamental problem was solved. As I just noted to Dave, the original problem was the existence and expectation of many heterogenous networks of different technologies, some multi-access, some switched or relayed, some circuit-switched, virtual circuit switched, datagram, etc.
>
> The problem was how to interconnect them.  A solution was arrived at. From what I can tell, somewhere before 1976 or so.
>
> The question is precisely what was it? Or perhaps more to the point, what did people think it was?

i don''t think there was or is a single answer.

One answer was layering, so you can have consistent behavior at upper
levels while having different lower levels.  We take this for granted now,
e.g., IP packets in my office are flowing over twisted pair, wifi, 5G, and
fiber, but I think it's only obvious in retrospect.

The other was gateways, translate traffic from one form to another.  Some
of the translations are conceptually simple, like turning phone numbers
from North American en-bloc signalling to CCITT compelled signalling.
Some is very baroque like the mail gateways Dave worked on.

There may be others but at the moment I can't think of any.

R's,
John