[ih] early competition and networking

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Mon Apr 15 07:46:37 PDT 2024

To some degree, ‘back in the day’ was pretty recently. ;-) Long after the fundamental problem was solved. As I just noted to Dave, the original problem was the existence and expectation of many heterogenous networks of different technologies, some multi-access, some switched or relayed, some circuit-switched, virtual circuit switched, datagram, etc.

The problem was how to interconnect them.  A solution was arrived at. From what I can tell, somewhere before 1976 or so.

The question is precisely what was it? Or perhaps more to the point, what did people think it was?

Take care,
John