[ih] Dan Lynch has passed away

Wayne Hathaway wayne at playaholic.com
Tue Apr 2 16:32:06 PDT 2024

When I worked for Auspex Systems, I added code to our devices to automatically take and email me memory dumps on system failure.  So often I would know of a problem, debug it, and download a fix long before the clients even reported the reboot.  But as Dave noted, often times it was some other device that was causing the issues with a faulty implementation (usually NFS rather than TCP/IP), so occasionally I would start my email to the customer’s IT people with something like “When did you install the machine at 192.36.72.14?  it is doing so-and-so in violation of the NFS protocol spec and it is causing problems for others on your network.”  The responses were often hilarious.  😊

Wayne Hathaway
wayne at Ames-67 in the good old days