[ih] Dan Lynch has passed away

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Mon Apr 1 09:38:35 PDT 2024

On 4/1/2024 9:23 AM, vinton cerf via Internet-history wrote:
> We also did TCP interop tests - whoever broke the
> most TCPs got a bottle of champagne from yours truly.

An anecdote about interop testing outside of a planned event:

Roughly 1987.  At Ungerman-Bass we'd put TCP onto the the company's
'intelligent' Ethernet card.  The card had a 80186 processor, whicht was
more powerful than the chip on many PCs. Our Telnet and FTP ran on the PC.

We'd been deploying for some time, with no interoperability problems.
Then one day I get a call from Boeing which was testing our product.
(Boeing was big on OSI in those days.  This group was off in a corner of
the company.)  They reported that our telnet was not working against
another company's telnet server.

We had a primitive packet-capture tool and I had them use it to record
the session.  On reviewing this I found that the other company's product
was doing the telnet protocol only to accept the connection and it then
just handed the session over to the regular terminal handler, with no
protocol engine mediating.

Unfortunately, our telnet client was aggressive and initiated some
options.  But the requests were just treated as user data ans were
getting echoed back to our telnet client.

I called the customer up and went through the details with them. They
had been working with us for awhile and were technically quite
competent.  So I was thrown off-balance when their response to my
showing them what was happening was to asked what /we/ were going to do
to fix it.

I repeated the summary of the problem, noting that the other company's
product was in completely violation of the telnet spec and Boeing should
get them to change it.

Their response was that they understood this and would certainly talk
with the other company.  But ours was the product causing the problem --
the other company's product worked fine with everyone else --  AND... we
were more responsive...

I'd never thought of interoperability testing as a having marketing
potential until that point.

Dan, on the other hand, saw this from the start.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking