[ih] Dan Lynch has passed away

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Mon Apr 1 19:31:47 PDT 2024

inline - thanks for these memories, noel.

On Mon, Apr 1, 2024 at 9:31 PM Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu> wrote:

>     > From: Vint Cerf
>
>     > TCP Bakeoff was jon postel's way of getting us to cross-test our TCP
>     > implementations
>     > INTEROP had a broader objective.
>
> Two more dissimilar events than the first bakfeoff, and the later Interops
> (which were as much trade shows as anything), would be hard to find.
>
> I still have memories of the second bakeoff (my first); it made a real
> impression on me. Saturday at ISI - and all the hallway lights were out (at
> least to start with): so we were going back and forth from office to office
> in the gloom. I think for some of the TCPs there, it may have been the
> first
> time they interacted with a _number_ of other TCPs. Sure, in addition to
> testing with themselves, there had been _some_ onesies (e.g. the TIU TCP
> with
> the TENEX TCP), but nothing like the mass cross-connects that were
> happening
> that day.
>
> It's all written up in an early IEN (those things are gems of history); I
> remember looking at it some years back for a Computer History Wiki page:
>
>   https://gunkies.org/wiki/TCP_and_IP_bake_offs
>
> Yeah, the one I remember is in IEN-77:
>
>   https://www.rfc-editor.org/ien/ien77.pdf
>
> Now that I look, it looks like there was more cross-connection at the first
> one, in IEN-70:
>
>   https://www.rfc-editor.org/ien/scanned/ien70.pdf
>
> than I realized; I definitely had the impression at the second that that
> was
> the first big attempt at cross-connections. Not so!
>

> I think I recall a story Dan told about an escapade of him and you, at the
> first Interop. (I'm pretty sure it was him and you; it may have been
> elsewhere; and it might have been you who told it to me.)
>
> A group had been out to dinner, and you all got a bunch of special wines.
> You
> took the left-overs away with you. Late that night, you two were out
> somewhere on the Pacific Coast Highway, and decided to polish off the
> left-overs! I just had this image of the two of you sitting on the bumper,
> no
> glasses, and tilting back these bottles!

This was a celebration I think. Maybe Dave Clark's end of tenure at IAB?
something else.
Yes, Dan had procured some of the most wonderful NAPA cabs: 1969 BV George
Latour private reserve, maybe also a 1968 and perhaps a 1970. Maybe also
Cask 23 Stag's Leap. We had not poured every bottle fully (sediment). But
when we took these nearly empty bottles away after dinner we decided,
sediment of not, we had to finish them..... you got the picture exactly
right.

> I also think Dan may have been the third person at the bizarre bar meeting
> with me and Phill Gross one evening after an early IETF meeting in DC. If
> it
> was an IETF meeting, it would have been the 7th - that was the first one in
> DC. I thought it was earlier; maybe not.
>
> There were three of us at the bar (somewhere roughly on the Beltway,
> in/near
> Reston), at a table: me, Phill, and a third, who I think was Dan. I was
> making the point about how the Internet was going to really take off, _big
> time_, and we (the Internet technical community) really needed to get
> ourselves seriously organized (by which I meant in what we produced, as
> well
> as internally - although we had to do a good job on the latter, to do a
> good
> job on the former), to be ready for it.
>
> So they agreed with me; and we somehow spontaneously made up this strange
> chant, which I'm not sure I recall exactly - something like "It's time too
> get _real_" - and we were all repeatedly saying this in unison; and, IIRC,
> hammering on the table with our hands. The other people in the bar must
> have
> thought we were bonkers.
>
> It's a very vivid memory, to this day.

boy, were you guys ever right about that!!

> Salud, Dan. With your help. we got real.

So we did!

--
Please send any postal/overnight deliveries to:
Vint Cerf

until further notice