[ih] Dan Lynch has passed away

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Mon Apr 1 18:31:22 PDT 2024

    > From: Vint Cerf

    > TCP Bakeoff was jon postel's way of getting us to cross-test our TCP
    > implementations
    > INTEROP had a broader objective.

Two more dissimilar events than the first bakfeoff, and the later Interops
(which were as much trade shows as anything), would be hard to find.

I still have memories of the second bakeoff (my first); it made a real
impression on me. Saturday at ISI - and all the hallway lights were out (at
least to start with): so we were going back and forth from office to office
in the gloom. I think for some of the TCPs there, it may have been the first
time they interacted with a _number_ of other TCPs. Sure, in addition to
testing with themselves, there had been _some_ onesies (e.g. the TIU TCP with
the TENEX TCP), but nothing like the mass cross-connects that were happening
that day.

It's all written up in an early IEN (those things are gems of history); I
remember looking at it some years back for a Computer History Wiki page:

  https://gunkies.org/wiki/TCP_and_IP_bake_offs

Yeah, the one I remember is in IEN-77:

  https://www.rfc-editor.org/ien/ien77.pdf

Now that I look, it looks like there was more cross-connection at the first
one, in IEN-70:

  https://www.rfc-editor.org/ien/scanned/ien70.pdf

than I realized; I definitely had the impression at the second that that was
the first big attempt at cross-connections. Not so!

I think I recall a story Dan told about an escapade of him and you, at the
first Interop. (I'm pretty sure it was him and you; it may have been
elsewhere; and it might have been you who told it to me.)

A group had been out to dinner, and you all got a bunch of special wines. You
took the left-overs away with you. Late that night, you two were out
somewhere on the Pacific Coast Highway, and decided to polish off the
left-overs! I just had this image of the two of you sitting on the bumper, no
glasses, and tilting back these bottles!

I also think Dan may have been the third person at the bizarre bar meeting
with me and Phill Gross one evening after an early IETF meeting in DC. If it
was an IETF meeting, it would have been the 7th - that was the first one in
DC. I thought it was earlier; maybe not.

There were three of us at the bar (somewhere roughly on the Beltway, in/near
Reston), at a table: me, Phill, and a third, who I think was Dan. I was
making the point about how the Internet was going to really take off, _big
time_, and we (the Internet technical community) really needed to get
ourselves seriously organized (by which I meant in what we produced, as well
as internally - although we had to do a good job on the latter, to do a good
job on the former), to be ready for it.

So they agreed with me; and we somehow spontaneously made up this strange
chant, which I'm not sure I recall exactly - something like "It's time too
get _real_" - and we were all repeatedly saying this in unison; and, IIRC,
hammering on the table with our hands. The other people in the bar must have
thought we were bonkers.

It's a very vivid memory, to this day.

Salud, Dan. With your help. we got real.

	Noel