[ih] Why the Soviet Internet Failed

Johan Helsingius julf at Julf.com
Sun Sep 10 04:41:12 PDT 2023

I still remember the first (and last) Soviet UNIX conference in 1990
or 1991. Bill Joy from Sun was there, and Sun was donating a big batch
of obsolete Sun 3 machines.

In one session, a bunch of Soviet/Russian academics were debating how
to port UNIX to some big Russian mainframe computer, and Bill Joy
stepped up to the mic and commented "you do realize that any of those
Sun 3:s will run circles around that mainframe".

https://www.osti.gov/biblio/458760

	Julf