[ih] Memories of ITS [was: Flag Day]?

Lars Brinkhoff lars at nocrew.org
Wed Sep 6 23:52:28 PDT 2023

Greg Skinner wrote:
> There was a TCP/IP implementation for ITS.

I tried to locate hard evidence for when the ITS machines started
running TCP/IP, so I checked the binary files called @ ITS which is the
"kernel".  According to the timestamps, I can see MIT-MC was running
TCP/IP in December 1982, MIT-ML in January 1983, and MIT-DMS in June
1983.  Unfortunately the backup tape archive doesn't cover everything
and I don't see any MIT-AI file.  However, there is this message:

  "ITS implementation of TCP-IP was begun on November 10, 1982, nearly
   single-handedly by Ken Harrenstien, and MIT-MC was doing TCP on
   December 19th.  The other machines began running the TCP version of
   ITS on flag day: MIT-AI started running ITS 1312 on December 31 at
   21:03-EST and it all worked."

It bears repeating what a heroic feat Harrenstein pulled off.

> MIT-MC was accessible via its ARPAnet attachment using TCP/IP for some
> time afterwards.

The KA10 incarnations of MIT-AI [1], MIT-DMS [2], and MIT-ML developed
hardware problems and were shut down permanently during 1983-84.  DEC
donated KS10 computers [3] to MIT, so AI [4], ML, MD, and MX were
revived after a while.  MIT-MC soldiered on until 1988 [5], albeit in
declining health.  The ARPANET IMP connections were lost at some point,
after which the ITS machines were only available through Chaosnet.  The
KS10 machines gradually succumbed to hardware issues and were shut down
in 1990.

Today ITS runs again in fully glory on emulators that support KA10,
KL10, KS10 processors, as well as most of MIT's quirky custom hardware
devices.  The first emulator running ITS was written by the very same
Harrenstien mentioned above.

[1]