[ih] Did the MIL-STD matter? [IETF relevance (was Memories of Flag Day?)]

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Tue Sep 5 11:05:49 PDT 2023

IIRC, SMTP defined a mechanism for sending bunches-of-bytes between two
machines.   RFC822 defined a particular structure and syntax for those
bytes.  By not mandating RFC822, DoD left open the possibility of
developing other schemes for organizing that content.

For example, the 1981 "Military Message Experiment" had tried using
"Arpanet mail" in an operational military context, and identified
missing functionality -  "Precedence", "Authorization", and security
issues are ones I remember.    Such functions were then in current use
with the military "Autodin" messaging infrastructure, and the Experiment
helped to identify what might be needed in an alternative to RFC822.  I
don't know if anything further was actually developed as Autodin evolved
into the DDN system.

Jack