[ih] Did the MIL-STD matter? [IETF relevance (was Memories of Flag Day?)]

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Tue Sep 5 10:31:15 PDT 2023

On 9/5/2023 10:19 AM, Miles Fidelman via Internet-history wrote:
> The DoD Protocol Handbook - containing the TCP/IP, FTP, and SMTP standards

This otherwise-superb, multi-volume document demonstrated an issue --
though I prefer to call it a combination of errors -- that created a
professional life lesson for me.

It cites SMTP, but not RFC 822.  They didn't realize that the RFC was an
independently-usable (and used) Internet protocol.

The lesson for me was the power of acronyms.  Make sure a specification
comes with a short-form name or initials.  Oh, and that people get into
the habit of using it.

d/

--
Dave Crocker