[ih] Memories of Flag Day?

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Fri Sep 1 15:07:15 PDT 2023

On 9/1/2023 2:51 PM, Greg Skinner via Internet-history wrote:
> an announcement from a CSNET staffer

Nevermind the substance of the note, I'm fascinated by the handling
sequence:

> Date: *30 Dec 1982 14:45:34 EST (Thursday)*
> From: Nancy Mimno <mimno at Bbn-Unix>
> Subject: Notice of TCP/IP Transition on ARPANET
> To: csnet-liaisons at Udel-Relay
> Cc: mimno at Bbn-Unix
> Via: Bbn-Unix; 30 Dec 82 16:07-EST
> Via: Udel-Relay; 30 Dec 82 13:15-PDT
> Via: Rand-Relay; 30 Dec 82 16:30-EST

The two Relays were set up as parallel gateways between CSNet and The
Arpanet. My recollection is that I gave them identical gateway routing
tables.  So I don't understand why the mail went from Udel to Rand.

This note was sent only days after I left the CSNet project.  So I don't
think it likely anyone reconfigured anything by the time of this message.

And I don't remember configuring anything that would have produced this.

But then, there's lots I don't remember...

I think Mike O'Brien is on this list.  He was the Rand admin for this.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking