[ih] History of IoT

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 19:01:46 PST 2023

On 14-Feb-23 11:45, Larry Masinter via Internet-history wrote:
> Look at the references for RFC 2324 (which might itself be the first IoT RFC not sure).

I don't see why not. Jon Postel always insisted that RFCs in that
must be completely implementable.

RFC 1673 doesn't really qualify, but it made clear the notion
of covering vast numbers of objects:

"The addressing scheme must have essentially an unlimited address
  space to encompass an arbitrarily large number of information
  objects."

In verbal discussions in the IPng directorate, there was certainly
talk of addressing every street lamp etc.

    Brian